A cocktail that evokes the flavours of Terry's orange shaped chocolate, the infusion for this Cacao Negroni cocktail is easier to make than you realise. Rather than it being a sickly sweet chocolate concoction, the use of cacao nibs provide a more subtle velvet cocoa texture that pairs well with....chocolate (of the eating kind). Just a note, the texture of this isn't an in your face chocolate hit - rather, you'll get a subtle bittersweet cocoa like finish when you drink this. It's subtle but it's there.
One of the recipes that uses the Adelaide Hills Distillery Negroni cocktail pack where the 200ml Bitter Orange bottle is perfect for infusions.
- 30ml Adelaide Hills 75 Degrees gin
- 60ml cacao infused Adelaide Hills Distillery Bitter Orange (see below on how to make the infusion)
- 40ml cinnamon, raisin and orange peel infused Adelaide Hills Rosso Vermouth (see the Cinnamon & Raisin Negroni recipe for how to make this infusion)
How to make the cacao infusion
- Take 200ml of the Adelaide Hills Distillery Bitter Orange and drop in a half tablespoon of cacao nibs
- Leave to stand overnight
- Strain out cacao nibs and the liqueur is ready to use!
How to make the Cacao Negroni
- Combine equal parts gin, Bitter Orange and Rosso Vermouth in a shaker filled with ice.
- Stir to chill and dilute
- Strain into a glass with a large cube of ice