Let's face it, microwaves are a waste of time when it comes to enhancing the flavour of food. However, Ryan Chetiyawardana's Nuked Negroni shows what a useful tool it can be for making drinks!
Heating the ingredients for a Nuked Negroni draws out the flavours and adds depth to the drink that isn't there when you simply stir it down.
You can make a batch to serve chilled, or do what we do and let it cool to a safe temperature, and serve it warm.
Serves 6-10 depending on how generous you are!
- 300ml gin (try with Moore's Dry Gin or Naught gin)
- 300ml sweet vermouth
- 300ml campari
- 1 grapefruit
- 6 blackberries
- 1 sprig of rosemary
HOW TO MAKE A NUKED NEGRONI
- Remove a strip of zest from the grapefruit with a peeler. Add this to a microwave proof bowl with the other ingredients
- Cover and microwave on high for 3 mins
- Allow to cool, and strain into a bottle
- To serve, add a generous measure to a rocks glass, add ice and a slice of grapefruit, or a twist of orange
- OR: Allow to cool to a drinkable temperature and serve with a grapefruit twist